Test it for yourself
Find out if harness tension is correct or if a coat is too bulky for in-car use?
- Put the coat on your child.
- Strap your child into the car seat and tighten to ensure a snug fit.
- Remove your child from the car seat – leaving the straps exactly as they are.
- Take the coat off your child.
- Strap your child back into the seat – without adjusting the straps.
- Do the two finger test. If you can fit more than two fingers underneath the harness at your child’s collar bone, the harness tension needs to be tightened or avoid using the coat in the car seat.
Watch this video on how to do the test and see how much slack a thick coat or snowsuit can cause in your child’s safety harness. You will be amazed!
You can do this same test, but instead of testing with two fingers at the collarbone you can just pinch the harness and if there is any slack tighten the harness until you can’t pinch anything.